Sunday, April 01, 2018

Easter Dawn




He blesses every love which weeps and grieves
And now he blesses hers who stood and wept
And would not be consoled, or leave her love’s
Last touching place, but watched as low light crept
Up from the east. A sound behind her stirs
A scatter of bright birdsong through the air.
She turns, but cannot focus through her tears,
Or recognise the Gardener standing there.

She hardly hears his gentle question ‘Why,
Why are you weeping?’, or sees the play of light
That brightens as she chokes out her reply
‘They took my love away, my day is night’
And then she hears her name, she hears Love say
The Word that turns her night, and ours, to Day.

Malcolm Guite 


A very blessed Easter to you all






Sonnet from: Sounding the Seasons

Music:   Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)   Marienlieder - Opus. 22 (1859) - VI. Magdalena

Image:  Master Henri, Noli Me Tangere from Livre d'Images de Madame Marie Belgian (Hainault),
               1285-1290. Paris, Bibliothèque Nationale de France


25 comments:

  1. Some twelve hours to dawn here...thank you for the moving words and music.
    Tomorrow is polling day in the Presidential elections too so all the traditional processions have been banned so as not to hamper access to the polling stations. This is a vital election for the country...on a mundane level, we hope for light to triumph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, Helen. I do hope the election passes off peacefully and fairly and the result is what you hope for. I've just done a bit of reading about the contest and can see how much hangs in the balance.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your interest...the election process is strictly controlled, but I await the result with trepidation

      Delete
    3. Very glad to see that the moderate candidate won and by such a wide margin. You will be relieved.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Oh my, a poem I have not read before; a heart-melter! Joy to you this day, dear lady! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you, Yam. Malcolm Guite is a favourite of mine and I have his book of sonnets (Sounding the seasons) from which this comes. I think you would love it.

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful and touching.. Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krishna. I'm glad it spoke to you.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Perpetua. Easter Blessings to you and your family from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. I always enjoy choosing the material for these posts.

      Delete
  5. and a Happy Easter to you Perpetua. Yes, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Easter will be over now, Susan. I hope it was a happy one.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful. Have blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I thought you would. I'm a great fan of Malcolm Guite and his collection of sonnets Sounding the Seasons is worth getting hold of. Just click the link in the footnotes for details.

      Delete
  8. Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I hope your Easter was wonderful.

      Delete
  9. Dear Kathy, thank you for sharing the poem and the music--both brought home to me the gift that is Easter. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed them, Dee, and I hope you had a wonderful Easter birthday.

      Delete
    2. Dear Kathy, I did! Now if only the weather would spring into spring into of catapulting us back into winter! Peace.

      Delete
  10. So very lovely and touched my heart this morning. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, Penny. It's a wonderful poem and I loved the hitherto (to me) unknown Brahms song about Mary of Magdala.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope you had a lovely Easter too.

      Delete

I welcome your comments and will always try to respond to them. Thank you for reading.